Software Architect & Robotics Systems Engineer | MedAcuity
All Sessions by Tom Amlicke
May 10, 2022
Build It or Buy It? Critical Architecture Decisions for Robotics Solutions
3:00 PM - 3:45 PM
Successful robotic development projects—those that launch on-time and within budget—is highly dependent on how you prioritize these decisions can ensure that your architectural design efforts will have the most beneficial impact in a timely fashion. Now you are better prepared to address these most common, and critical, architectural decisions.
• Buy a manipulator/mobile platform or create a new one?
• Use a framework like ROS or ROS2, or build your own application-specific software?
• Use code generation or implement your software in a traditional software like C++ or Python?
• How do you connect your components - Ethernet, CAN, Ethercat, Serial, USB, etc. ?
• Software: DDS, GRPC, ZeroMQ
• Utilize open-source licenses or commercial licenses
In this presentation, MedAcuity’s Tom Amlicke will discuss the key decisions that development teams must address to create architectures that will ensure a robot will meet requirements, reduce risk, function as intended, and be delivered on time and on budget.